If there’s one thing I like to experiment with, it’s food and Thanksgiving is no different. Every year, I go a little cray on your average apple pie. My dad sticks to tradition in case I mess up (my pies are normally the most scrumptious in the house) and I go for raspberries in the crust or chocolate chips lining the bottom…or use Walkers shortbread cookies to make the best apple pie crumble…pretty much ever.
What you Need:
- Just buy a tin of Walkers Shortbread Cookies…what you don’t use, you’ll eat
- 1 stick of butter
- 5 cups of apples (around 6 apples)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbs flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon for apples and 2tsp for crumble
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- cold water
Pre-heat the oven to 425 F
Make the bottom layer crust:
- If you have a good food processor (thank you splurging parents) your life will be a million times easier.
- Crunch up enough Walkers to make 2 cups of powdered shortbread (it should look like flour). This is around 2 and a half sleeves of cookies
- Cut up the butter into little cubes and slowly add them to the powdered shortbread while your food processor is on dough. If you don’t have that option, much it up with your hands pre-food-processor style
- Pour in a splash of cold water to help the dough round out
- You should have a buttery, delicious glob of shortbread.
- Line the bottom of your pie pan with this (buttering your pan SOO not necessary)
Make the delicious apple pie center
- Get your 6 apples together and peal and slice them.
- Make your cinnamon sugar mix of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Pour our dry mix over the sliced apples and use your hands to mix it all together (there should be no “dry” dry mix by the time you’re done).
- Pour your apple mix into the pie pan.
Make the top layer crumble
- Back to the food processor!!
- Crunch up around another 2 sleeves of Walkers cookies
- Add cinnamon and brown sugar and keep that processor processing.
- Add more cinnamon and brown sugar until you sniff your crumble and you feel nothing but happiness and see nothing but rainbows.
- Slowly pour your crumble over the apple pie, making sure to cover all of the apples.
Pop it in the oven for 40 minutes (until the crumble looks crisp and the bottom crust is browned).
Eat that sucker